Dissertation Boot Camp
About Dissertation Boot Camp
Looking for an environment where you can focus solely on writing your dissertation? Look no further. The Graduate Student Center's popular Dissertation Boot Camp is your two-week writers' retreat.
As a part of our Navigating the Dissertation Series, our Dissertation Boot Camp was developed to help students progress through the difficult writing stages of the dissertation process. By offering an environment and support for intense, focused writing time, the Camp provides participants with the structure and motivation to overcome typical roadblocks in the dissertation process. Read about a Camper's experience in The Pennsylvania Gazette, Dissertation 'boot camp' turns slackers into scholars.
Frequency of Boot Camp: Boot Camp is a two-week long, bi-annual event. Boot Camp Winter 2018 will have its mandatory orientation session from 9:00am to 12:00pm on Friday, January 5th. The Boot Camp writing sessions run for two weeks, January 8th to January 19th, from 9:00am to 1:00pm. There will be optional afternoon writing sessions until 5pm as well.
Registration: Registration will begin on Monday, November 13th, and end on December 15th or when all seats are sold out. Registration will take place at the Graduate Student Center. Students should register in person. If you cannot register in person, please have someone come with your Penncard or a photocopy of your Penncard, and register for you. We will need your email address and Penn Card number at time of registration.
Cost: Non-refundable $25 supply fee at the time of registration and a separate $50 payment if a camper does not abide by the rules or complete Boot Camp during the second week.Bootcamp FAQ:
I participated before - can I participate again?
A student cannot participate in more than one Boot Camp. If you participated in a previous two-week Boot Camp, you cannot register again unless there are seats left. The reason for this is twofold:
- Boot Camp is limited to 20 students, and we are trying to accommodate as many students as possible
- We intend for Boot Camp to be a model that you can continue on your own. It is our hope that participants will form small self-motivated dissertation groups, utilize the Weingarten Learning Resource Center, utilize our Writing Weekends when available and stick to an individualized writing schedule with the momentum gained from Boot Camp.
Questions or Concerns?
We are happy to explain our policies and discuss the program with you. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2018 Dissertation Boot Camp
Friday, June 15 - Friday, June 29, 2018, 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Room 302 (3rd Fl), Grad Center, 3615 Locust Walk, Room 303 (3rd Fl), Grad Center, 3615 Locust Walk, Room 305 (3rd Fl), Grad Center, 3615 Locust Walk
Ticket sales start: Tuesday, May 01, 2018
Price: $25 each, limit 1 per Graduate Penn Card
Summer Boot Camp 2018: Mandatory orientation session from 9:00am to 12:00pm on Friday, June 15th; Boot Camp writing sessions run for two weeks June 18th to June 29th from 9:00am to 1:00pm. Participants have the option to stay until 5:00pm.
Registration: Registration will begin on Monday, March 26th and end on Friday, April 20th. Registration will take place at the Graduate Student Center. Students should register in person. If you cannot register in person, please have someone come with your Penncard or a photocopy of your Penncard, and register for you. We will need your email address and Penn Card number at time of registration.
Cost: Non-refundable $25 supply fee at the time of registration and a separate $50 payment if a camper does not abide by the rules or complete Boot Camp.
- Each day will include a 4-hour mandatory writing session from 9am till 1pm. Participants have the option to stay until 5pm. Weekends are off.
- Each participant will have an assigned work station, and must obey the Boot Camp Rules, which will be discussed during the orientation session of the Boot Camp.
- Boot Camp participants must bring their own laptops and all materials (e.g., books, data) that are necessary. These items can be secured in the Grad Center for the duration of Boot Camp.
- During the orientation session, we will have a RULES SESSION followed by a group workshop on organization and writing offered by the Weingarten Learning Resources Center. We encourage students to attend one advising session with a WLC Advisor at some point before the boot camp or during the two weeks of Camp. Students can bring drafts of their work, discuss topic and structure, future publications and work, etc. Weingarten staff will remain available on an on-call basis throughout the program for additional appointments, to help students overcome any habits or problems standing in the way of success.
- All participants are asked to make a serious commitment to the program. To encourage this sustained commitment, we charge $50 fee to those campers who do not abide by the rules or complete the program.
- All extenuating circumstances must be documented in writing before the start of Camp. If we decide that your circumstances would cause too much absence from Camp, we will forfeit your seat to another student. (We will refund your supply fee). Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions regarding this issue before registering. We will discuss pre-noted and emergency absences in detail during the Friday Rules Session. As a general rule, we suggest that all students make-up their lost time during the afternoon optional time period.
Questions or Concerns?
We are happy to explain our policies and discuss the program with you. Please contact us at 215-746-6868 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sat essay boot camp
- College essay boot camp
- Custom dissertation
- Dissertation planner
- Dissertation defense powerpoint
- Dissertation proposals