Most of the students detest doing homework. Some students find it time-consuming, other might complain about the busy schedule, while there are also students who find homework a boring task. But if you have not completed your homework, you need to be well prepared with an excuse because whenever you are given any task, your teacher might ask you to submit it the next day or at a specified date.
If you fail to submit your work and don’t have a convincing explanation; you are sure to be punished. So, to be saved from punishment; you need to provide a good Excuses for not doing homework. But using the same excuse again and again can be risky since your teacher will have a doubt you. So, I have listed 12 excuses that can work well when you miss your homework. If you have already applied one, go for the second.
This list provides a number of options that can fit your sack.
1. I forgot to bring my notebook
forgot to bring my notebook
This is one of the most common and genuine excuse that you can use. If it’s the first time you missed your homework, this trick of defence work very well. In a hurry, most of the students normally forget some of their notebooks. Hence, teachers can easily trust this reason for yours. But again, remember that don’t give this justification time and again. Because it is illogical that every time when you are assigned task, you tend to forget your notebook.
2. I couldn’t complete the work because I wasn’t feeling well
not feeling well
If you have already made the above excuse once or twice, go for this one. Any diseases, infections or problems never come with an invitation and teachers to understand this well. So, if you tell that you fail to complete your work because you were sick, they will surely not punish you. Most importantly, even teachers know that students frequently face health issues, so your reason will be satisfactory for your teacher.
3. I tried doing the homework, but I failed to understand the topic
failed to understand the topic
This reason depends on the homework that you are given. If you are assigned task that is not explained properly in the class or if you are provided with the topic for writing, just like an essay that is quite difficult; you can undoubtedly apply this reason. You can tell your teacher that you tried researching the topic, but you failed to understand the core meaning of it. So, the teacher will automatically stand up to clear your concept or explain you the topic of your work. But again, remember that don’t give this reason if any topic is explained to you clearly in the class or if the topic of your written work is already explained to you in details.
4. My little brother tore my notebook
My little brother tore my notebook
If you have younger brother or sister of age 5-10 years old, you can give this excuse for not doing homework. Yes, many times we complete our work but fail to pack up things. Thus, they remain scattered on our bed or table. Moreover, if we have little brother or sister, it is quite predictable that they pick our notebook and play with it, not knowing how important it can be. So, if you give this reason, your teacher might rebuke you for being careless but ultimately you will be saved from getting punishment for your incomplete work.
5. I was absent that day
I was absent that day
If your teacher hardly notices the number of students present in the class or if they hardly care to look at the attendance register; you can apply this reason for missing your homework. If you tell them that you were absent on the day when homework was assigned; they will grant you some more time to complete your homework.
6. I bought my notebook, but I’m not finding it anywhere now
Not finding it anywhere now
This reason displays that you have completed your homework and bought in the class, but somehow it got misplaced and you are not able to find it. So, in the class of 20-40 students, teachers will hardly have time to ask every student to check their bags and look for your notebook (which means someone might have mistakenly kept your notebook assuming that it belongs to them). Yes, most probably your teacher might tell you that “fine, search it and submit it to me tomorrow”’. This way you can have some more time to complete your work.
7. My PC or laptop didn’t work last night
Laptop didn’t work last night
This excuse again depends on the homework that you are given. If your homework requires the use of computer or laptop; you can give this reason. You can just say that “I have completed half of my task, but unfortunately my laptop automatically shut down and it was too late to find any repair shop open”. This reason will reflect the problem of your laptop and your teacher will not raise an eyebrow at you.
8. My friend borrowed my homework but he didn’t turn up today to give it back to me
borrowed my homework
Make up an imaginary friend, who need your completed homework as a reference of the topic that he failed to understand. So, you can tell your teacher that your friend didn’t understand the topic, so he borrowed your homework and promised to return back before the school time. But unfortunately, he didn’t turn up. Present it in a way that you tried helping your friend. Your teacher might get angry at you but ultimately they will consider your excuse for not doing homework.
9. I didn’t find the prescribed page number in my course book
Not find the prescribed page number
Before giving this reason, you need to take a little risk of tearing the page from your book for which the homework is assigned. Tear the page in a way that it looks like the pages are missing from your book. So, if you are giving this reason; don’t forget to take your course book along with you. Your teacher might ask you to handover that book in order to check the questions. So, if they really find the pages missing; that is surely not your mistake and you can be saved from the punishment for missing your homework.
10. I was in a hurry, so I mistakenly left my notebook in my mom’s car, and now she’s in the office
mistakenly left my notebook in my mom’s car
This can instead be a good excuse for not doing homework. Many times, we tend to forget things in a hurry. So, just tell that you were carrying your notebook since it was already time for your class but you mistakenly left it in your mother’s car and since they have reached the office, you cannot ask them to bring it back to you.
11. My neighbor disturbed me a lot, so I failed to focus
what is your problem
This can be the last excuse that you can use for missing your homework. When you had applied all other reasons earlier; and you are left with no other excuse; you can tell your teacher that your neighbor came at your place and distracted you a lot. Hence, you failed to concentrate on your task.
12. State the truth
State the truth
We all know that we cannot make reasons always for not completing the task. If you make a number of excuses time and again, you will surely be caught. Sometimes it’s ok to give a reason but escaping homework every time is certainly not a good habit. So, at least give a try, and if you fail, give the true reason for it. This will build a trust and probably your teacher might appreciate you for your sincerity.
Image Reference:- reddit.com, Tumblr.com, j-14.com
borrowed my homework, failed to focus, forgot to bring my notebook, Missing Your Homework, mistakenly left my notebook, State the truth, student excuses, tore my notebook, what is your problem
The 10 Best Homework Excuses
1. I got my backpack stolen: use rampant crime among high school students to your advantage. No teacher in his right mind would expect you to turn in that big assignment if it got stolen the very day it was due. Although most teachers won't follow through, filing a missing backpack report might not be a bad idea.
2. My mom and dad got in a huge fight last night and the cops came and I couldn't concentrate on the assignment: Domestic violence isn't something to lie about...unless it's done to save your grade. This excuse works on so many levels: (1) Your teacher will never bring this up to your parents; and (2) you will garner sympathy for the rest of the year. The only way this could go wrong is if your teacher reports this to your guidance counselor and your counselor contacts your parents. That's probably not going to happen.
3. I stayed at my dad's this weekend and left it there and my mom refuses to let me go back and get it: Teachers are suckers for dysfunctional family stories. This is an all time classic.
4. I left my binder in my mom's car and she's at work across town: This is a twist on the easy to see through "I left it at home" excuse. A teacher can reasonably expect someone from home to bring your homework, but not even the meanest teacher would expect your mom to leave work.
5. I was really sick yesterday and unable to do anything. The only reason I came is because I didn't want to miss any more work: Teachers will admire your perseverance and give you the extra day.
6. It's that "time of the month": If you're a boy, don't try this. This only works for females on male teachers.
7. Grandma died: Even if the teacher doubts the veracity of your grandma's death, he's not gonna call you out on it just in case it's true. There are obvious problems with this excuse, including the guilt you'll feel if your grandma does die that week.
8. My dog died and I was too upset to do my homework: This is rarely used, but effective, especially if your teacher has a dog. Only a heartless task master would not cut you a break over losing your best friend.
9. I had to take care of my baby sister who was up last night throwing up: Another underused classic. Be careful your teacher isn't an e-mailer or he just might e-mail your parents for an update on your baby sister who doesn't exist.
10. Tell the truth: This is a revolutionary excuse. Often if you just go to your teacher in the morning and tell him or her the truth, you'll get some additional time.
What's your favorite homework excuse?